Thursday, March 3, 2016

How many "locks" exist on Android?

I noticed my AT&T S5 didn't work on WiFi down here in Argentina as the AP used Channel 12 which is not included in the ROM's kernel. Very annoying! I had made sure to get the AT&T phone as they use the same frequency bands for non-LTE cellular as the telephone companies here. Unfortunately the boot loader is locked so I don't think I will be able to fix this issue.

But I got to thinking about the ways the phones can be locked down to restrict use. Here is my list which is likely not exhaustive. What am I missing?

Samsung "initial region" lock which requires 5 minute call
SIM lock to carrier
WiFi channels disabled (e.g. 12-14)
Screen lock w/ fingerprint, etc.
flash memory encryption, decrypt on boot
google accounts lock (needs account to enable after factory reset)
samsung account lock (needs account to enable after factory reset)
different frequencies for cellular coverage
bootloader locked
KNOX counter?

SIM card itself can be locked with pin
SIM card can require PUK code


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1TtuCbb
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment