Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Wakelock caused by GasBuddy App

So not sure if this has already been posted and / or discussed elsewhere. Did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I was having pretty decent battery life on my s7 edge, but still getting random wakelocks that were only stopped by a restart. I was using package disabler to disable bloatware etc.
Usually it would show up as Android OS which was causing the stay awake. Device would not go into deep sleep when this was happening.
A bit of playing around and I noticed once the wakelock started I could get it to stop by restarting the phone or turning off bluetooth. I use android wear so turning off bluetooth wasn't an option.
Some googling led me to this thread http://ift.tt/1MQSRO3
Mentions gas buddy app causing wakelock due to polling location via bluetooth (beacons...?), and some sort of bug or bad programming being the main culprit. Anyway, point being once I removed gas buddy everything was great and I had no more extended wakelocks for no reason.
I hadn't seen anyone post it in here, and clearly it does have the same issues on our phones. I see a lot of people talking about bad battery life, so hopefully this helps.
Keep in mind that gas buddy isn't the only app which has issues like this - it just seems to be the most common one. Check your apps as while it might not report it that way, but could be the root caused of wakelocks and subsequent bad battery life.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1SO1yb8
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment