Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Any chance of a Custom ROM?

Hey all,

So my mother has an iPad 4 at the moment. She's had it since the day it's came out, and loves it. One of my younger siblings ended up cracking it, and it's starting to act weird. As it's not functioning properly, she's decided to replace it. Now, over the years I've told her about how much better Android is, trying to convince her that it's the superior OS. She hasn't listened thus far, and still has her iPad. However, she is about to get an Android tablet after all.

My father recently won a Amazon Fire HD 10 in a contest and is gifting it to my mom. Now, I'm aware that the Amazon Fire's screen and specs are a bit crap, but it's free (and she probably won't mind anyway). However, the OS is what I'm worried about. Amazon is known for having a horrid skin on top of Android, even going as far as to replace Google's Services with their own. I don't want this to be her first impression of Android, as Amazon's OS is far from what Android can really do. With that said, I was curious if anyone is perhaps developing a Stock Android/CyanogenMod ROM for the Fire HD 10. In order to get a custom ROM running on this tablet, we first need a custom recovery (such as CWM, TWRP, etc.). I'm aware that the $50 Fire Tablet has both a custom recovery and Custom ROMs, but that tablet has much more interest due to the price point. Now, I'd try to do some of this process myself, but I unfortunately know nothing about porting Custom ROMs/Custom Recovery's myself. I do know my way around ADB/Fastboot and have some minor Linux knowledge, but that's about it.

The tablet is already on it's way (it's currently shipping), so I'd be able to test any ROMs once I receive it myself. Now, I know that this is a tall task, but if anyone is up for it I'd be eternally grateful.

~Mario119~


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1Su5Rvo
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment