Tuesday, March 1, 2016

ALERT! -- Incipio had a data breach - looks like I was hit!

***Please post if you were also hit after buying an Incipio case***

Just received a form letter dated 2-23-16 from Incipio's CEO (which can be viewed online here) about a data breach potentially affecting online orders made through their website (not sure about Amazon orders) between 9-26-15 and 1-29-16. I ordered my Octane case on 9-27-15 and about two weeks ago there were several false charges made to the debit card I used, which is now cancelled, replaced, and all amounts credited back since I reported it immediately. I think most folks with MXPEs who got Incipio cases would likely fall within this time span, so please be aware if you did and didn't receive or read the letter, which came in an unmarked envelope not saying Incipio or giving any other indication on the outside that it was about this matter.

Because the letter states "...we are unaware of any instance of fraud or identity theft arising from this incident", I called Incipio to report that there does seem to be at least one possible instance, and asked to speak with someone in management to do so, but customer service would only refer me to the 3rd-party security monitoring firm mentioned in the letter who they've hired, but that isn't really one of their functions. I still left my contact info and a firm request to be called back, though something tells me I won't be, but if I do I'll post the response.

This breach went undetected for THREE MONTHS [!!!] and from the letter it sounds like it was only discovered accidentally, and though it's fixed now I'd be very hesitant to do more business with them directly after that poor a level of self-monitoring.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1ONw2EU
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment