Sunday, March 6, 2016

[3/6] Charging Speeds Comparison (QC 2.0, 10W Qi, Standard) S7/S7E

I wanted to share some of the trends I've noticed with my S7E which also apply to the S7 (although the charging times would likely be faster). I drained my phone to the same 14% before each charger test, then proceeded to record values in set intervals (as even as I could: usually ~5 minutes each). All of the data was put into a spreadsheet so I could graph it as seen below. I added in a standard wall charger to set the baseline for the QC 2.0 Samsung Adaptive faster charger, and I will also add in a standard qi charger test when my Samsung one arrives. It is important to set a baseline for each charging type in order to properly compare the speed each device chargers relative to what is considered 'normal'.

Here are the chargers I've tested so far:
Samsung 9V/1.67A (15.03W) Adapter Fast Charger (the one that comes with the phone)
Standard 5V/2.4A (12W) wall charger (Chotech in this case)
Choetech 10W fast qi wireless charger with a 18W QC 2.0 input (the stock Samsung charger only outputs 15W which isn't enough to utilize the fast charging)

The Samsung 15W QC 2.0 charger gave the fastest charging time from 14-100% which only took 80 minutes. The other 2 chargers both finished in 125 minutes; it was interesting to see a wireless charger finally charger as fast as a standard wall outlet. I will add in a standard wireless charging test when mine arrives

Here is a breakdown of the % the phone charged during the first hour:



As you can see the Samsung charger pulled ahead by a large margin thanks to the use of QC 2.0. If you look at the standard wall charger and 10W Choetech wireless fast charger they are both about the same all of the way through the test. I know there aren't any 15W qi chargers out just yet, but Incipio is making one (they seem to be the only company so far). I am perfectly happy using the 10W Choetech one because I don't need to charge my phone at the QC 2.0 rates overnight, but it is nice to have it charge a little faster wirelessly in general.

Here is a figure denoting each phones charging sped from 14-100%



Another comparison I wanted to see was how much the rate changed per change in time over the charging cycle (slope of the line vs time). The QC 2.0 Samsung charger tapered off at a much faster rate than the Choetech 10W wireless one or the standard wall charger. The wireless charger seemed to bounce around more than the standard wall one, but I didn't notice the phone getting warmer than usual at any point, so it was likely just how it charges.




Lastly here is a separate figure showing the mAh change per recorded time interval starring from 14% (504mAh on the S7E).



I hope this helps show people how the different charging methods work for the S7/S7E, and provide some insight into what you can expect. I will add more details to the OP as time goes on, and answer any questions related to the test.

Feel free to post your comments, tests, or general experiences with any of the above methods.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1M269Bv
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment