Monday, May 2, 2016

Updating Using Factory Images And Fastboot Mode

Hi all,

Within the last month I successfully unlocked my 5x, rooted it, installed a custom recovery and have kept it on stock ROM with a custom kernel (ElementalX) and some minor tweaks (AdAway, Viper4Android). So far, so great.

However, when I was locked and unrooted, I used to use ADB and the sideload OTA function to update to the newest builds, usually within 3-5 days after the binaries first drop.

Now, with the desire to remain on an updated stock ROM, keep root, custom recovery, and the minor tweaks noted above, I wanted some confirmation from the great minds here as I navigate Heisenberg's thread and use fastboot on my own for the first time.

What I've done so far: Download and extract the binaries from my current build (MHC19Q) as well as today's new build (MTC19T).

Compared them and see there is a new radio that I'll have to flash.

I want to keep my custom recovery (TWRP) and boot image (ElementalX kernel), so I believe I leave those untouched.

So, my process here is:

1. Boot into bootloader mode. Open a command prompt and confirm via fastboot devices that my device is connected/recognized through USB.

2. Enter "fastboot flash radio {insert radio.img here}"
3. Enter fastboot reboot-bootloader
4. Enter "fastboot erase cache"
5. Enter "fastboot flash cache {insert cache.img here}", repeat step 3
6. Enter "fastboot flash system {insert system.img here}, repeat step 3
7. Enter "fastboot flash vendor {insert vendor.img here}

My 2 questions are - will this process above succeed in updating my security/build and leave my recovery and kernel untouched? And will I keep root and modifications, or have to reflash TWRP, SuperSU, AdAway, Viper4Android, etc.?

Thanks for the patience, all. Once I do this once or twice, I'm sure it'll become old hat!


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1W4gMwY
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment