Thursday, May 26, 2016

VPN, T-mobile and prioritization (throttling) be careful

I have been on t-mobile for about five years and I have always had an unlimited plan. The last 3 years I have used an always on VPN (OpenVpn) to access my data connection. I do think that recently t-mobile MAY (purely speculative) be double counting my data usage as I just got throttled down to 2G until the end of my cycle. This device has very few roms (mainly what I download, historically) and I listen to about 10 podcasts (never streamed, each episode downloaded to my sd card). I don't use spotify or Tidal or netflix, and I transfer all my music files from PC to sd card when at home.

Allegedly I used 39.99GB (exactly the number the rep reported oddly enough) last month (no throttle). I have never gone above 18GB prior to last month. This month (with 6 days left on my billing cycle), I was assessed a total of 34.99GB of data (exact number again). Now I am in "prioritization mode" as its now being called. Basically my account has been throttled down to 2G speeds on my unlimited account.

I called into customer service to learn all of this...and the first question they asked it what do I use my device for, what apps do I have on my phone, do you stream music?

Just a heads up for VPN users, your VPN app may cause you to lose your data for a few days.

I did some research and I guess they typically throttle at 21GB, and other user experiences?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1P2n9yn
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment