Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tether to Replace Home Internet - Closed Port Issue

I want to start out by stating this may be a general Verizon issue, but was hoping to get some input here first on the issue I'm facing.

My situation is that I want to replace my home cable internet with my LG G4 via tethering. I installed a wireless card on a desktop computer, connected it to VZW network via wifi tethering from the G4, enabled connection sharing on the desktop computer, then plugged an Ethernet cord from the desktop into the WAN port of my home firewall/router. This worked perfectly, giving the rest of my home devices internet via my 4G connection!

However I have some externally facing services, such as VPN and RD Gateway that don't seem to work over the 4G connection. I've done some troubleshooting and have a suspicion inbound communication on these ports is possible blocked by Verizon.

Sidenote - these services are configured with a Dynamic DNS provider - the external IP address does change correctly when I cutover to 4G service.

I reverted my home network back to the way it was and started focusing on the G4. I played with iptables (I'm rooted) with no luck. I attempted to open ftp connection to the G4 on port 2221 with no luck (using FTPServer & FTP Server Plus apps), still nothing. I changed the port a few times to something random > 1032, still nothing.

Does anyone know if Verizon is blocking external inbound communication, or possibly if there is something on the G4 I'm overlooking?

Any information is appreciated! If I can get through this issue, I can cut my ties to Comcast!!


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/298sPbS
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment