Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Question on wifi calling country authentication

I travel a lot for work from the US to China. In the past, I've utilized wi-fi calling on my LG G4 on Sprint for texts / voice capabilities. Sprint doesn't allow wifi calling in China, but there was an easy work around: I would VPN to a US based location (needed to access anything google), connect to a wifi network, turn on global roaming and then use a fake GPS locator app set to somewhere in the US. When used in tandem, I was able to to connect to wifi calling just as if I was in the states. I've done this successfully for the past six trips to China over the past year, but my most recent trip to China this method no longer worked.

When trying to authenticate wifi calling, it times out and gives an notification error in the status bar "wifi calling is not allowed in this country". I believe Sprint does its locating via Google (one of the main reasons wifi calling doesn't work here) but that shouldn't be an issue if I have VPN access and can utilize the suite of my other Gapps. During the timeout, sometimes I get a redirect to the following site:
http://ift.tt/19xPKqJ. Does anyone know what may have changed in the past two months in regards to this verification?

Once I left China, I was able to successfully connect to wifi calling in both Hong Kong and back in the US without any issue. I believe the root of the issue is somehow the location verification has changed and I can't figure out how to properly spoof my location while in China. I've tried different fake GPS apps (need to turn on mock locations), so that's not the issue, but something to do with the network verification. I know the VPN is working because I can access all my other google apps.

Thanks for all your input!
-Rob


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/29kytDI
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment